Thread: Gamified Communication Books

Gamified Communication Books

Ok, I am going to be honest. When I create adapted PODD communication system for my kids, I have a set of objectives in my head for all of their communication partners. How they will use it? What categories they will use? How they will interpret communication? etc...

Initially, however, none of these objectives were ever getting met!!!! We (as a communication dept.) scheduled meetings and professional developments. While it's use improved, the buy in wasn't quite there.

We realized that the communication books needed to be more obvious, FUN to model and use and dare I say it, "marketable." They needed a theme !

So, we made a "Choose Your Own Adventure Communication Book." By likening it to choose your own adventure, we peaked the interest of our parents and staff. The book was instantly associated FUN! It improved the use of the communication system, served as a great introduction of the student for new people, and increased the frequency of social interactions.

Take a look and try it out for yourself!!
    ***this book was made for a very special student with unique needs and should be used as an example or general template***

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 8.24.11 AM.png
Views: 71
Size:  67.1 KB
    We used game elements into the book's description to help communication partners view their communication interactions as FUN (I'm going to keep saying it ) It became a game to read the student's behaviors correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 8.30.11 AM.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	558
    We added in a highly visual Help desk and FAQ to ensure that communication partners did not get frustrated. No one wants to play a game where the rules are confusing and frustrating.

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 8.32.01 AM.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	559

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 8.39.50 AM.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	555

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 9.03.24 AM.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	556
    Last edited by Colleen; 11-20-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Awesome Idea

Hey Colleen,

I love this idea. So cool! Thanks.

Jenn

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.