Joy
    Blog Entries

The Zones of Regulation App: Review

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 9.36.36 AM.png
Views: 101
Size:  46.8 KB

Product/Program /Strategy: The Zones of Regulation: By Leah Kuypers
    Developed By: Selosoft, Inc.
    Intended Population: The Zones is designed to be used with elementary students, secondary students, and adults.
    Description: The App highlights how to read others' facial expressions and recognize a broader range of emotions and perspectives about how others see and react to their behavior, insight into events that trigger their different zones, and when and how to use tools and problem solving skills to change the way they are thinking and feeling.

Students will be taken on an adventure throughout a town filled with excitement, rewards, and mini games. To enhance learning, it is recommended that an adult closely monitor the student's progression through the App, asking probing questions and facilitating discussions about how the App's content can be generalized to the student's real life. The content of the App can be further explored using the lessons and learning activities featured in the curriculum book, The Zones of Regulation.
    Price: $4.99

Where to buy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...610272864?mt=8
    Readings and Research: Jill Kuzma SLP says: New App! Zones of Regulation App! | Jill Kuzma's SLP Social & Emotional Skill Sharing Site

Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Joy
    Blog Entries
    Denise SLP says this about The Zones of Regulation App:

Population I used the App with: Second grade students

Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒
    As you begin the game with a new player, the app takes you through the directions of how the app works. This is a little confusing at first, however once you use the app you realize how easy it is to play.
    Difficult to Navigate: ☐

Customizable: ☒
    There are several levels to use when engaging in the Match the Face game. The levels vary from easy to advanced, and require the student to understand the colors and zones associated with varied facial expressions.
    Lack of Customization: ☐

Tracks and Emails Data: ☐
    As the student progressed through the app, items increase in difficulty.
    Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☒
    There is no ability for data collection on this app.
    High Quality Graphics: ☒
    Graphics match the graphics from the Zones manual. This is positive in that students have seen the pictures prior to playing with the app.
    Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Pictures are black and white line drawings and could be larger so that the student can focus on important reatures.
    Priced Right: ☒
    Very inexpensive at $4.99
    Overpriced: ☐

Varied Setting Options: ☐
    The app allows the student to practice both the six sides of breathing and lazy 8 breathing with an animated visual.
    Few Setting Options: ☒

Addresses Core Standards: ☒
    This app could be coupled with conversational skills and then it would address the speaking and listening Collaborative Conversation standard.
    Doesn’t Address Core Standards:☐

I would recommend to others: ☒
    This app is worth the money as another way to reinforce the skills in the Zones of Regulation.
    I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐

The Take Away: (overall impressions and experience)
    A fun way to review the Zones of Regulation, reading facial expressions, triggers and strategies to use at each Zone. I like how in the beginning, each Zone is reviewed in terms of feelings associated with the color and then the next pop up is a question related to that zone with associated pictures and feelings or a true/false statement. The app has four colored squares on the left of the screen for students to tap if they need a refresher for feelings in each zone.
    Wish List:
    Customize situations to a student for zone triggers and reactions; add the ability to track response accuracy.
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by the developer or other community members)
    Could you design an app which allows for importing photos of students? Could you design an app which uses photos instead of line drawings and maybe short video clips of varied zones.
    Disclosure: Leah Kuypers, author of the The Zones of Regulation providedme with a free copy of this app to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.