Joy
    Blog Entries

Let's be Social! Review

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 5.21.48 PM.png
Views: 78
Size:  40.0 KB

Product/Program /Strategy: Lets be Social! By: Everyday Speech
    Everyday Speech - Social Pragmatics at Your Fingertips
    Intended Population: Children with Asperger's and developmental delays.
    Description: Let's be Social! targets the pragmatic skills of recognizing emotions, solving problems, forming friendships, and predicting outcomes. It comes standard with 25 high quality lessons created by licensed SLP's. Each lesson walks the user through different social interactions and asks questions to help encourage retention and carryover of skills. Lessons include custom illustrations to show emotions felt and actions taken during each stage of a lesson. Lets be Social! provides the ability to create completely customized content! You can create your own lesson summaries, questions, and import your own photos. You can create entire lessons from scratch in an instant with our question creator.
    Price: $14.99
    Where to buy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lets...772244049?mt=8
    Readings and Research: Speechy Musings says: Letís Be Social! App Review -- Speechy Musings
    Check out Lets be Social!'s latest newsletter: In Case you Missed It: Let's be Social! is Now Available - Check Out Our Giveaways!
    Last edited by Joy; 03-07-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Let's Be Social App Review

App Name: Letís Be Social!
    Population I used the App with: Elementary (Grade 4)

Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒ Difficult to Navigate: ☐
    Customizable: ☒ Lack of Customization: ☐
    Tracks and Emails Data: ☐ Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☒
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☐ Overpriced: ☒
    Varied Setting Options: ☒ Few Setting Options: ☐
    Addresses Core Standards: ☒ Doesnít Address Core Standards: ☐
    I would recommend to others:☒ I wouldnít recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away: This app contains tons of different social stories and corresponding multiple choice questions that are divided into the areas of Personal Interaction, Navigating the Community, School Behavior, Handling Change, and Social Relationships. This app would be more suitable to use with a younger population, as it was a little too easy for my fourth graders (the stories and multiple choice questions were too basic for an older elementary crowd, which my students were not hesitant to point out to me). I had to pause in between questions to allow for discussion or ask a student to justify/ explain his answer, because my students are a little focused on jumping from one question to the next! The group I tried it with is into Superflex and the Unthinkables, so we looked for Unthinkables in each situation and talked about Superflex strategies to defeat them. Next time I might have the students re-enact each scene and discuss to delve a little deeper into each situation. With younger students, you could pair the stories with Kimochis, as the stories and corresponding questions point out characters' feelings- this would allow for further discussion as to WHY the characters felt the way they did. My favorite feature of the app is how you can create your own categories, stories, and corresponding questions,. I made a scene for "Playing Games Fairly," as I have one group who gets overly fixated on going first, how many points each person has, etc. (I even incorporated Destroyer of Fun (from Superflex) in there)- the kids responded well to it, and it was a great way to make it applicable fo my students!
    Wish List: I wish the questions at the end were a little more involved to prompt further discussion (i.e. open ended instead of multiple choice, asking for reasoning behind the choice). It would also be cool if there was a voice or video recording option to act out the stories and have the students watch/listen back. There is also no option to track data, if that is something that is important to you!
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by the developer or other community members)
    Disclosure: Everyday Speech provided me with a free copy of this app to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Last edited by Joy; 03-08-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Let's Be Social App Review

App Name: Let’s Be Social
    Population I used the App with: K-3 grade
    Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒ Difficult to Navigate: ☐
    Customizable: ☒ Lack of Customization: ☐
    Tracks and Emails Data: ☐ Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☒
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☒ Currently $14.99 Overpriced: ☐
    Varied Setting Options: ☐ Few Setting Options: ☒
    Addresses Core Standards: ☒ Doesn’t Address Core Standards: ☐
    I would recommend to others: ☒ I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away:
    The Let’s Be Social app was created by certified Speech-Language Pathologists. The app targets social language instruction and can be used with children on the Autism spectrum, those with developmental delays, hearing loss or social/emotional difficulties. The app comes with 5 skill sets and a total of 25 pre-made lessons.
    The Skill Sets include:

• Personal Interactions
    • Navigating the Community
    • School Behavior
    • Handling Change
    • Social Relationships

Each lesson starts off with a lesson summary (a short paragraph), and is followed by 4-5 questions. This app is geared towards younger children; however, you can customize it for older students as well.
    This app can be downloaded on an iPad iOS 6.0 or greater. There is no version for Android or Windows at this time.
    Things I Like:

• You have the ability to add skill sets as well as create your own customizable lessons.
    • The app is easy to navigate and the developers provide you with a tutorial to help you get started.
    • The pre-made lessons are colorful.
    • The price is right.
    Wish List:

• The stories are very basic and there is only room for one paragraph. It would be nice to create a story that has multiple pages.
    • The app allows only for three multiple choice answers per question. If you want you can set it up to only have two but you are unable to add more than three.
    • If you are able to add multiple pages to the lesson, it would be nice to be able to ask question(s) after each page to also check for comprehension.
    • All answers are text based. It would also be nice to be able to have picture choices for those students who cannot read.
    • There is no way to set up different users or keep track of data at this time. I know this is an area the company is considering and I think it would be a good option.
    • There is no video-based content on this app. Some kids learn better through video modeling and that would be another way to teach them these types of social lessons.

• Once you create a lesson you are unable to go back and edit it. You can change the questions but not the content of the lesson.

• Currently the student is dependent on the clinician or teacher to read the lesson aloud. A text-to-speak feature would be nice so that children who cannot read could be more independent.
    Disclosure: Everyday Speech provided me with a free copy of this app to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Joy; 03-08-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.