Thread: Conversation Builder- Elementary Edition

Conversation Builder- Elementary Edition

Name:  Picture 27.png
Views: 104
Size:  48.7 KB
    Product/Program /Strategy: Conversation Builder
    Intended Population: Elementary aged students with social difficulties
    Description: ConversationBuilder™ (Pat. Pend.) is designed to help elementary aged children learn how to have multi-exchange conversations with their peers in a variety of social settings (iTunes).
    Price: $19.99
    Readings and Research: Conversation Builder Elementary- Review and Giveaway : http://speech2me.blogspot.com/2012/12/conversation-builder-elementary-review.html

Speech Lady Liz's Language and Conversation Language Review: http://speechladyliz.blogspot.com/20...er-review.html

Where to buy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/conv...413939366?mt=8
    Video Examples and Presentations:

Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Joy
    Blog Entries
    Population I used the App with: School Aged 9-12 Year Olds

Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒ Difficult to Navigate: ☐
    Customizable: ☒ Lack of Customization: ☐
    Tracks and Emails Data: ☒ Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☐
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☒ Overpriced: ☐
    Varied Setting Options: ☒ Few Setting Options: ☐
    Addresses Core Standards: ☒
    · Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussion (one to one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
    Doesn’t Address Core Standards: ☐
    I would recommend to others: ☒ I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away: (overall impressions and experience)
    The first thing I noticed on this app, which was very helpful, is a tutorial video link on the bottom right of the homepage. The walkthrough on Conversation Builder was quick, informative, and upon completion I was comfortable navigating through the settings/options. I highly recommend watching the video before using the app. In my opinion, the strength of Conversation Builder is in the flexibility of the setting options to allow for scaffolding of next-step skills in conversation from most to least prompting. At the highest level of prompting are scripts where the child identifies and repeats/records the language associated with each stage of the conversation using a theme based picture or routine. The character in the picture responds (using a very real childlike voice) to reciprocate for 4 or 8 exchanges. If you have a child who benefits from a script based approach at this level you could practice these skills using some of Conversation Builder’s provided themes (i.e. playground=soccer, monkey bars) and then carry over to similar, real life situations. The lowest level of prompting is generating a conversation with a peer or a group of peers using a picture without a script. Children at this level could be taught lessons around Michelle Garcia Winners Social Thinking ® concept “Thinking With our Eyes.” Students can learn to make guesses about what someone might be thinking in the picture based on where they are and what they are doing, and then practice formulating initial questions, follow up questions, supporting comments, bridging questions, etc. Students could further practice perspective taking skills by pretending to be a person in the picture. These concepts could then be carried over to small group structured conversation or similar activities. All responses at both levels are recorded and students listen to the conversation or read it via text (in talking bubbles) during or after completion. Some other great features are the ability to add custom pictures from your photo library, importing images of students for turn taking which appear in talking bubbles (they love to see themselves in the bubbles), archiving/saving of conversations, and email sharing.
    Wish List:
    · I would like to be able to add my own pictures and comments/questions for script selection as some of the choices don’t transfer easily to real-life and more than one choice could be appropriate at times.
    · Being able to import a video clip as well as picture would make the initiation of conversation more dynamic and real life.
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by the developer or other community members)
    I am curious to learn about other approaches (i.e. Social Thinking ®) or supports (i.e. Boardmaker visuals) educators/therapists/families are using with Conversation Builder to maximize student success in language based conversation skills?
    Disclosure: Mobile Education Store provided me with a free copy of this app to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Last edited by Joy; 03-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

3. 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM

ASE All-STAR

Conversation Builder Review

Population I used the App with: School Aged Children 7-10

Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒ Difficult to Navigate: ☐
    Customizable: ☒
    Some features are customizable depending on the mode.
    Lack of Customization: ☐
    Tracks and Emails Data: ☐ Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☒
    Unable to track progress of each individual. Modules are completed but there are no accuracy levels given.
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☒ Overpriced: ☐
    Varied Setting Options: ☒ Few Setting Options: ☐
    Addresses Core Standards:
    Social Interaction:
    S.2 Students will comprehend and communicate orally, using spoken English for personal and social purposes. (Many skills in this section can be addressed with this app.)

Interpersonal Relationships:
    7.5 Apply attentive listening, feedback, and assertiveness skills to enhance positive interpersonal communication
    Doesn’t Address Core Standards: ☐
    I would recommend to others: ☒ I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away: (overall impressions and experience)
    Overall I like this app. It's easy to use and the picture quality is fantastic. It works on targeting initiating a conversation, turn-taking, commenting, perspective taking, etc. I like how this app address core state standards and it can be used in conjunction with other types of social thinking programs. There is also an easy to follow tutorial video available if the facilitator needs help.
    This app offers a variety of modules (7 in total) which can be selected one by one or all together depending on the individual's needs. The app also offers the facilitator the ability to randomize modules; however, in order to use this feature you must select all modules. I like that depending on the individual's ability there are three different conversation types to choose from (1:1 - 4 Exchange; 1:1- 8 Exchange and Group). This allows each individual to go at their own pace. I also like that the facilitator can decide who will initiate the conversation (Student, Peer or Random).
    You are able to create different users on this app; however, there is no way to track the progress of each user. For example, this app does not have the capability to record the number of times the individual picked an incorrect response. I like that for the 1:1 exchange modes individuals are given three multiple choice answers. I would like to be able to customize this feature; however, this option is currently not available (e.g., have two answers, allow the individual to respond during the 1:1 modes without given choices like during the group mode). When an incorrect response is selected, the individual is made aware of their error "That is an uncommon response;" or "That is not the best response. Try asking a different question." Most explanations are general and do not explain what the individual did wrong. The facilitator is left having to provide an explanation. Also some of the answer choices are similar which may make picking the correct response tricky. Individuals who have difficulty paying attention to details might struggle when using this app.
    This app is good for working on expanding an individual's MLU. I like that individuals are able to record their voices, listen to what they've said and then make corrections (e.g. intonation is incorrect). There is also a play last button which allows individuals to hear the last response in order to help them make the best possible choice. Another nice feature on this app is the history button that appears at the top of the screen once the individual records their first response. This feature is great and provides a visual of the conversation thus far; however, the button is small and I didn't notice it the first few times I used the app. At the end the individual(s) can hear the entire conversation. This is a great feature and lets the individual to evaluate their performance. This app also allows conversations to be saved for review at a later data as well as the option to e-mail them. This feature permits their conversation to be shared with their families and other professions if given permission. I like that when conversations are e-mailed that the picture is also provided which helps to add context to the conversation. There is also an achievements tab which lets the individual to see which modules the have completed. Once a module is completed then the individual receives a certificate which can be e-mailed to them.
    When using the group conversation mode, the app allows you to use pictures of the individuals who are engaging in the conversation. Their pictures then appear in the history section at the top of the screen along with their response. I really like this feature and wish it was also offered in the 1:1 mode. You are also able to import your own pictures when in the group mode. This feature is also not available in the 1:1 mode.
    Wish List:

• Ability to track student's progress and choices.
    • Ability to customize answer choice both in quantity and type. It would also be nice to be able to type in your own answer choices.
    • Ability to add in customized pictures to 1:1 modes.
    • Ability to see all conversations within each module. (Checklist of ones completed).
    • Provide further explanation as to "why" an answer choice was incorrect.
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by the developer or other community members)

How are other members using this app? Are they using it in conjunction with other social skill and/or social thinking programs?
    Disclosure: Mobile Education Store providedme with a free copy of this app to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Last edited by Joy; 03-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.