Thread: You Are a Social Detective: Interactive CD: Social Skill Builder, Inc.

Joy
    Blog Entries

You Are a Social Detective: Interactive CD: Social Skill Builder, Inc.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 4.25.30 PM.png
Views: 457
Size:  50.4 KB

Product/Program /Strategy: You Are a Social Detective: Interactive CD
    Developed By: Social Skill Builder, Inc.
    Intended Population: Elementary aged students with social difficulties: ages 7 - 12
    Description:

You Are a Social Detective was created as part of a collaborative effort between Social Skill Builder, Michelle Garcia Winner, and Pamela Crooke of Social Thinking (R). This interactive CD teaches school age children to become better social thinkers by putting on their detective hats and deciphering the understanding of expected and unexpected social behavior. It teaches users how to use their eyes, ears and brain to make smart social guesses and investigating clues to see how others emotions and responses are connected to their own behavior. This software program, complements the "You are a Social Detective book," and has 6 exciting levels with more than 200 video prompts to break down social situations into functional terms.
    Price: $89.99
    Readings and Research: Advance For Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologist wrote the following review: Software Review: You Are a Social Detective on ADVANCE for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists
    Lisa from MotherOfBun Reviews says this about You Are a Social Detective: Midwestern Mommy Reviews: Social Skill Builder - Software for Life Skills
    Where to buy: You Are a Social Detective | Social Skill Builder Blog
    Video Examples and Presentations: Here is the link to Social Skills Builder Youtube Channel:Social Skill Builder - YouTube

For the official software tutorial click here: http://"You Are a Social Detective" Software Demo

This is a demo showing level 4 on the program, Social Decoder:
    Last edited by Joy; 01-27-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Joy
    Blog Entries

You Are a Social Detective: Reviews

Population I used the Product with: Children ages 8-10

Pros Cons
    Easy to Learn: ☒ Difficult to Grasp: ☐
    Effective Visuals/Worksheets: ☒ Inadequate Visuals/Worksheets: ☐
    Easy to Integrate Into the Curriculum: ☒ Difficult to Integrate Into the Curriculum: ☐
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☒ Overpriced: ☐
    Customizable: ☐ Lack of Customization: ☒
    Easy to Differentiate for Varied Levels: ☒ Hard to Differentiate for Varied Levels: ☐
    Researched Based: ☒ Little or No Research: ☐
    I would recommend to others: ☒ I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away: (overall impressions and experience)
    This program is fun, engaging, and motivating. My students were immediately taken with it and asked to use it again in subsequent sessions. This doesn’t happen too often. The real “hook” was earning game time. Each time a student answered a question correctly a detective badge at the bottom right of the screen leveled up. When the badge filled, it redirected the child to a game. It should be noted, that there is an option to skip the game as not every child will want to play. One of my students solely enjoyed answering questions about videos. Participating in “game breaks” really made my kids happy, and incentivized continued hard work. It also served as visual, concrete way for them to track their progress toward the next “break.”

The strengths of this program in my opinion are two-fold. First, You Are a Social Detective implements the researched based approach, modeling to teach social skills. Efficacy for this approach has been documented in the National Autism Center’s National Standards Project (pg. 47) as an established intervention.

Second, the program fosters skill acquisition at the first two levels (direct teaching & application) to help bridge transfer of skills to real life situations.

Direct Teaching ---> Apply with Video Modeling ---> Transfer to In the Moment
    (Students Learn a Concept) (Practice with Hypothetical Situations) (Carry Over to Real Life Situations)

Finally, many lessons from Michelle Garcia Winner’s Think Social Curriculums easily fit with this program, and video analysis can be expanded to pair with a specific topic (i.e. problem solving). Other programs whose vocabulary can easily be adapted include: The Zones of Regulation (identifying feelings, zones, triggers, calming tools) and The Incredible 5-Point Scale.
    Wish List:

• It would be great if you could turn off/on as needed the narration of the You Are a Social Detective book. Having the option to skip to pages instead of flipping through the entire story would also be helpful.
    • There is an unequal balance of sound between the videos and computer program voice. When I crank up the volume to hear the videos the computer voice becomes almost unbearably loud. It would really help if the two audio components matched up.
    • In the public school I don’t service children individually very often. So it would be nice to have group user options and group user data tracking.
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by developer or other community members)
    In the future, would it be possible to adapt this platform and framework so educators, therapists, and families can create videos tailored to individuals needs for practice? Having students analyze personal, meaningful social situations in familiar environments with their peers/teachers would strengthen the bridge between practice and generalization.
    Disclosure: Social Skill Builder, Inc. provided me with a free copy of this program to review. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.

Last edited by Joy; 03-22-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

Members who have read this thread: 1