Thread: Language Builder App Reviews

Language Builder App Reviews

Name:  Picture 30.png
Views: 55
Size:  49.9 KB

Product/Program /Strategy: Language Builder
    Intended Population: children ages 3-10 with language learning needs.
    Description: Language Builder is designed to help children accomplish the following educational goals: 1) Improve sentence ideation ; 2) Improve sentence formation; and 3) Improve receptive and expressive language. Extensive use of audio clips promotes improved auditory processing for special needs children with autism spectrum disorders or sensory processing disorders. Auditory playback of child's voice offers reinforcement for language development.

Language Builder offers a rich and fun environment for improving the ability to create grammatically correct sentences. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app /languagebuilder-for-ipad/id405801365?mt=8)
    Price: $9.99
    Readings and Research: Let's Talk Speech Language Pathology Blog Spot: Language Builder Review

Play on Words:“Language Builder” App Review for Speech Therapy
    Where to buy: iTunes
    Video Examples and Presentations:
    Last edited by Colleen; 06-23-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Speech-Language Pathologist and Co-Founder of AllSpecialEd.com

ASE All-STAR

Review of Language Builder App

App Name: Language Builder (Mobile Education Store)

Population I used the App with: Elementary School grades k-2

Pros Cons
    User Friendly: ☒ Difficult to Navigate: ☐
    Customizable: ☒ Lack of Customization: ☐
    Tracks and Emails Data: ☒ Narrow Data Collection Ability: ☐
    High Quality Graphics: ☒ Poor Quality Graphics: ☐
    Priced Right: ☒ Overpriced: ☐
    Varied Setting Options: ☒ Few Setting Options: ☐
    Addresses Core Standards: ☒ Doesn’t Address Core Standards: ☐
    I would recommend to others: ☒ I wouldn’t recommend to others: ☐
    The Take Away: (overall impressions and experience)
    I love the Language Builder App. It is designed to address both receptive and expressive language skills. Students loved recording their voices as they created sentences for the fabulous photo stimuli. The app has three different levels for creating sentences. Level one allows the student to create a sentence with missing words. The student must know how to read or have someone read the partial sentence. Level two provides the first few words of a sentence, and level three has no words printed but instead provides an audio of one or two key words to be included in the sentence. The play back is a solid way for students to get feedback on the correctness of their utterance. Sentences can be saved for future listening or data collection. There is a “skip” button to proceed to the next picture if the current one is not preferred. I love the variety of themes available on the app. Themes include: School, sports, pets, winter, playground and several others. The photographs for each item are superb quality and highly engaging to students. For example: under sports there is a picture of a little boy is blowing a golf ball into a hole just centimeters away.
    Wish List:
    The only way to switch between players is to go into settings and retrieve a player’s name. It would be nice if you could easily switch between players so that students within a group could take turns and at the same time have their sentences saved under their own name.
    My Questions For You? (questions you would like answered by the developer or other community members)
    I’m wondering if there will be a version for tracking per level.
    Disclosure: I was provided with a free copy of this app to review from Mobile Education Store. I was not compensated in any way for my write up.
    Last edited by Colleen; 09-13-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.